Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Nice

After a bunch of different trains, I finally arrived in Nice.  I walked from the main train station to my hostel and promptly settled in.  I'm glad that this hostel takes credit card because I'm quite sick of using cash all the time.  I miss the credit card friendly American culture.  Anyway, I spent the rest of the day chilling in the hostel and contemplating what to do with my time in Nice.  I'm not a big fan of just laying on the beach, so I decided to go canyoning the next day.

I woke up extremely early the next morning, 06:45, and began packing my stuff for my day trip.  I took a tram and a shuttle up to the meeting point of the trip.  Our group of 7 was lead by a small french dude named  David.  He spoke very little English, but luckily we had someone in the group that translated for us.  After a 45 minute drive to the site, we geared up.  This involved putting on a wetsuit, a harness, and a helmet.  We all looked pretty goofy.  I couldn't really take any pictures because I don't have a waterproof camera.  However, someone did have a waterproof camera.  I'm hoping to steal them off Facebook once they're posted.  It was a lot of fun.  We basically jumped off 30 ft cliffs and slid down rapids.  I got back to the hostel and just rested for a bit before taking a nice stroll down the beach while the sun set.  When I got back to the hostel, I ran into a friend I met in Prague, Dora.  It was completely unexpected and super exciting.  We basically hung out for the rest of the night while she struggled with planning her travel plans.

The next morning I went sailing.  I went with a group from the hostel and traveled to a dock 30 mins away.  Our captain, Jean-Pierre, took us out on a 7 hour boat tour.  I managed to get sooooooooooo much sun that I actually burned.  I'm pretty sure that's a first.  We were sailing off the French Riviera and got a couple chances to stop and swim.  I also snorkeled for a bit, but I'm was too out of shape to dive deep.  It was basically a fantastic day. Perfect weather and awesome views sums up to a pretty great day.  I got back to the main train station at 19:00 and my train for Paris was leaving in an hour.  I took the tram back to the hostel, grabbed my stuff, and ran back to the train station.  I made it with half an hour before the train left.  Unfortunately, I found myself on another night train.  This time, I had to sit next to a lady that held a small dog the entire trip.  It was annoying how it would bark randomly.  Also, there was a group of middle school aged children that insisted talking most of the night.

Near sunset, French Riviera

A bunch of people watching the Germany vs. Italy game


What a hard life!

Peeps from New England




Ice cream boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment